Ingredients of the dough of Teta Henriette:
– 200g butter (remove it in the evening from the refrigerator to make it the next morning)
– 1/2 cup of icing sugar
– 1 egg
– 1/4 small spoon of vanilla
– 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
– 2 to 3 cups of flour
Ingredients of the cream of Teta Henriette:
– 1/2 cup of sugar
– 2 large tablespoons of custard powder
– 2 cups of milk
-1 small spoon of butter
– ½ teaspoon lemon zest
– Fruits: peaches, apricots, strawberries, etc … depending on your preference
– Jam the used fruit
Preparation of the dough:
– Preheat oven to maximum temperature
– Put the softened butter in a bowl
– Beat with an electric mixer
– Add the icing sugar and mix
– Add egg, lemon zest and vanilla sugar
– Then mix
– Gently add the flour little by little
– When it reaches to a good consistency, spread the dough in a lightly greased pan
– Begin to extend first to the edges and then to the middle. The dough on the sides should be slightly thicker than in the middle where it should be thin. But mostly not very thick it gets hard!
– Dock with fork by placing a few small holes in the bottom of the dough to allow air through
– Then put in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 ° C, the time depends on your oven
– Keep it cool slowly
Wait beside the oven until the dough becomes WELL COOKED yaane (yaane: “that means” in Lebanese) till it become well browned.
This is the secret: m7amssa
Note: the dough must be thin and should not stick to the hand!
It forms a block but stay thin (especially not thick)
The baked dough can be kept in a place at room temperature for one week covered by a plastic wrap.
Preparation of the cream:
-Pour Milk in a saucepan
– Add sugar and custard powder
– Stir and boil
– Add butter and lemon zest
– And mix under low heat until cream thickens
– Spread the cream over the dough
– Put some jam over the cream
– Decorate with the fruits
Bon appetit from Teta Henriette!
About Teta Henriette
By Léa Sfeir, the grand-daughter of Teta Henriette:
My grand mother Henriette Sfeir dedicated her life to her children and grand children’s. Devotion and infinite love would be the exact words.
Teta Henriette is a strong woman, always very elegant, perfect house mistress, hostess and one of a kind cooker.
Her house was always full of friends and family. Always carrying about everyone, her kindness and generosity were indescribable.
In case someone would pop up, a dessert was always ready to be served.
Among one of her delicious specialties, the famous pie of “Set Henriette” (“Set” in arabic means Lady) still inimitable to date.
This pie was always requested by family and friends. Unanimously, everyone was agreeing on the fact that this pie was so good that one could eat it all.
Naturally, everyone was asking about the recipe. However everyone came back to her saying:
Henriette I’ve followed your recipe literally but it really doesn’t taste the same…
Obviously there was her savoir faire and love in this pie, but her secret which she used to repeat unceasably: “el akel mesh chatara, natara” which means: “Cooking is a matter of patience more than bravoureness”
Therefore : “crust the dough, the secret is in its cooking!
It is legitimally that I have baptized this pie “Tarte Teta Henriette” in honor of my grand mother. An exceptional Lady with many unrevealed secrets!
She will be very surprised to read this article! and if I talked in the past it is that of the top of her 88 years she no longer have the energy that she would love to have to continue to cook for 20 people daily.